11.17.2020Quandel’s Top 5 Pandemic Strategies
The construction industry was thrust into uncharted waters as the COVID-19 pandemic unfolded. While some projects were deemed essential, others were not and were put on hold. The entire construction industry was forced to evolve and find a “new normal”. Six months into this “new normal”, we step-back and examine how construction has adapted to the pandemic’s challenges, and in some ways emerged stronger.
The Quandel companies approached the pandemic by maintaining open lines of communication, focusing on strategy and planning, and renewing our commitment to safety and an attitude of adaptability. Our companies tackled continuously changing federal, state and local guidelines and worked through obstacles to keep our projects headed in the right direction.
Facing pandemic fatigue on the jobsite, managing additional shifts and planning for worst case scenarios, our teams responded to the challenges with creativity and versatility. Below, are some of the steps we took and changes that were implemented to overcome the challenges of the pandemic.
- Emphasis on Safety | Establishing exposure control plans and implementing site-specific prevention guidelines early on provided a path toward reducing the spread of COVID-19. Additionally, adding new signage across all jobsites, keeping safety protocol awareness at the forefront and cleaning shared spaces more frequently became standard.
- Staying Motivated | Pandemic fatigue quickly became a real obstacle, and by focusing on and supporting a healthy work/life balance we were able to keep our teams energized and focused. Encouraging the use of paid time off rejuvenated our teams and elevated productivity.
- Providing Exceptional Service | In order to meet the demands of our projects with limited resources, we needed to strategize and plan for multiple work shifts. One of the main ways we accomplished this was by utilizing a “look ahead” schedules to plan for those needs and ensure that proper manpower was in-place. Reconfirming that our goals and the goals of our clients were aligned we were able to add value to the overall project team and reinforce our relationship with the client.
- Expediting Future Work | Taking ownership of the project schedule and constantly looking to improve on it when possible, we began expediting future work phases to allow for faster project turnover. Engaging in these activities with our clients shaped positive outcomes.
- Use of Technology | Collaborating with stakeholders and critical decision making continued with ease through virtual meetings allowing decisions to be made in real-time and more frequently.
Guided by our core values, the Quandel companies lead, made a difference and helped to build a better future!